Certain situations require a skilled attorney almost immediately, while others may never require one. Every situation is unique. Pinpointing the exact time you should seek legal representation is difficult. It has been our experience that the best time to contact a lawyer is soon after an accident, before an insurer begins calling and mailing you forms to fill out. It’s no secret that the legal system can be complicated, and having the guidance of an experienced lawyer will only help you. The best part of calling our office is that you have nothing to lose. Initial consultations are always free. One quick call, made at the first sign of trouble could prevent a lot of future headaches down the road. Call us at (413) 781-0000.
It’s important that you trust the lawyer that you choose to represent your interests. Injury cases take time to resolve and you need to be comfortable with the lawyer you choose. Not all lawyers are alike. The initial meeting can give you a good sense of who the lawyer is and how the entire process will go; because of this the best way to approach this meeting is like a job interview. By the end of this “interview” you need to be absolutely confident that this is the right lawyer to fight for your rights. In this video Robert DiTusa describes the process we use here at Alekman DiTusa, LLC.
Every case is different and thus the initial meeting can vary, but here are some basic questions you may want to consider asking potential lawyers.
During the meeting you should be asking:
Does your attorney have trial experience? Although most cases do not go to trial, all cases have the potential of going to trial. It is essential that you hire a lawyer that has experience going to court. You may be surprised that some lawyers avoid courtrooms. Insurance companies know which lawyers are willing to “go the distance” for their clients, and which are not. The attorneys at Alekman DiTusa, LLC have extensive trial experience in both civil and criminal cases.
- Does your lawyer have experience with the legal issues surrounding your case? Make sure you choose the right lawyer for the job at hand. Some lawyers claim to handle personal injury cases, but they really specialize in real estate, divorce or bankruptcy. You want to be sure your lawyer is an expert in handling the matters surrounding your case.
- How will your lawyer handle your case? Make sure you get an understanding of the lawyer’s intended course of action specific to your case.
- How long will your case take to resolve? Ask for a time frame for your case (time from the initial contact to when you receive a settlement check). Although every case is different, you should leave the first meeting with an understanding of what to expect.
- How you can help your case? Defining your role or participation in the case itself. It is important the your lawyer know every medical provider you see. If you don’t keep your lawyer informed, he may not be able to get you full compensation for your injury.
- How will your lawyer keep you informed? Look for an explanation of how your lawyer will keep you informed during the entire process.
- How much will it cost? Ask how and when the lawyer gets paid for his services. Ask if the lawyer will provide you with a fee agreement that details everything including fees, expenses, billing, and payment.
After the meeting ask yourself:
- Will I be comfortable working closely with this person?
- Do I trust this lawyer?
- Am I confident that this lawyer has the experience and skill to handle my case?
- Do I clearly understand the lawyer’s explanation of what my case will involve?
- Do I understand the proposed fee agreement?
We get paid only after you win your injury case. Our firm operates exclusively on a contingent basis, when handling injury cases, which means our fees are calculated with a predetermined percentage of the settlement or verdict. By using this method we can ensure that all of our clients’ cases are handled with the respect and urgency that they deserve.
People choose Alekman DiTusa, LLC because we aren’t your everyday law firm. Having worked in the legal industry for a combined 30 years, our firm has come to realize that we just don’t fit the mold that’s used to define a typical firm. We are easy to talk to and we develop relationships with all of our clients. But don’t be fooled by our good nature. We believe in our clients and we fight hard for them.
Call us idealists, but we believe that people who are in need shouldn’t be taken advantage of, or flat out ignored… they should just be helped. That’s why we work hard to ensure that our clients overcome their legal troubles. Over the years, we have been able to help thousands of families get back on track. Maybe that’s why past clients have dubbed us the “lawyers you can talk to,” and are willing to share their success stories.
In order to ensure our ability to provide clients with the highest possible level of service, our firm has chosen to focus on a few areas of the law. As a result our attorneys and staff have been able to hone their skills. If you’re facing legal trouble, or have found yourself injured in an accident, please call us at 413-781-0000. One call could be all it takes to get your life back on track.
It is important to recognize that if the breathalyzer shows that your blood alcohol content is above .08 (.02 for minors) your license will be suspended for 30 days. If you are an adult and have no prior offenses, in any state, the license suspension for refusing the breathalyzer is 180 days (longer for minors and for those with prior offenses).
In addition, if you have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) the suspensions are longer, and a refusal will result in a lifetime suspension if you have only one prior offense.
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to receive a free and confidential initial consultation.